We have recently updated the System files available from our website to include:
- population centroid data for 2011 Census Output Areas, Lower Layer Super Output Areas and Middle Layer Super Ouptut Areas (the population weighted centroid is a single point that represent the median location of households). These may be extracted from the software using the header variables “Easting” and “Northing” which are stored on the updated System files.
- Quick Statistics tables: QS212EW (Passports Held (detailed)), QS214EW (National Identify (detailed)) and QS611EW (Approximate Social Grade).
This completes all the Key and Quick Statistics tables expected from the 2011 Census.
Next week (16/5) ONS will be releasing 42 Detailed Characteristic tables and will be the first detailed cross tabulations produced from the 2011 Census. This release represents Phase 1 of 3 in Release 3.0. 33 of these tables will be available for ward and Middle Layer Super Output Areas, 1 at Local Authority and 8 at regional level. The final table layouts can be found here (.xls).
Once the SASPAC team have loaded and quality assured this data, System files will be downloadable from the SASPAC website, along with a small software update. We’ll blog as soon as this data is available.
ONS have recently added the Census table layouts relating to Release 3.1 (tables in Release 3.1 (.xls)). These are the first set of detailed cross-tabulations released from the 2011 Census.
Release 3.1 will commence on 16 May and will include tables covering the following topics at local authority level:
- country of birth
- language and religion
- Welsh language skills
Release 3.2 and 3.3 are expected in June and July.
For more information on Release 3, see the ONS website. ONS are expecting to provide further layouts and updates to tables as information becomes available.
Earlier today, ONS published the following five tables:
- AP1101EW Sex by five-year age group (non-UK born short-term residents)
- AP1102EW Sex by single year of age (non-UK born short-term residents)
- AP1201EW Country of birth (non-UK born short-term residents)
- AP1202EW Passports held (detailed) (non-UK born short-term residents)
- AP1601EW Economic activity (non-UK born short-term residents)
A further four Quick Statistics tables were also released, detailing Passports held, Country of birth, National Identity, and Approximate social grade.
These tables can be downloaded from the ONS website and will be available in SASPAC shortly.
ONS published a 2011 Census update letter earlier this afternoon, reporting on imminent plans for Census releases 3 and 4. Key points from this letter are:
- Non-UK born short-term residents and detailed tables relating to Passports Held, Country of Birth, and National Identity will be released 26 March.
- Release 3 will now be Detailed Characteristics at local authority level, followed by MSOA and Ward geographies, and will begin in May.
- Local Characteristics data will now be Release 4 (summer).
- More details of the exact timings of these releases are expected in April.
As usual, all of the above data will be available through SASPAC.
Building on the current System Files (.sys) downloads available for various geographies in England & Wales, new data is now available to download!
- USOAs (Wales only)
- Parliamentary Constituencies
- Parishes in England & Communities in Wales
- Primary Care Organisations (PCOs) in England/Local Health Boards (LHB) in Wales and Strategic Health Authorities (SHA) in England
In addition, ONS recently notified Census users of an error relating to Quick Statistics table QS203EW (Detailed Country of Birth). The error was present across all Census releases on the ONS website (including bulk data outputs) going back to December 2012. SASPAC has corrected these tables and, to assist users data management, is maintaining a list of all data corrections/re-releases (.xls) on our website. Following its recent release, this and previous data may be accessed using SASPAC v9.80.
ONS also published the following datasets earlier today:
- KS for National Parks in England and Wales
- KS and QS for Postcode Sectors
- KS and QS for National Assembly for Welsh Constituencies
The SASPAC team are currently processing the data, which will be available for download shortly.
ONS published the latest release of 2011 Census data on the 30 January 2013. This included 104 Census tables (35 Key Statistics (KS), 68 Quick Statistics(QS) and one Commissioned Table) for the Output Area (OA, Lower SOA and Middle SOA) and Ward geography hierarchies in England & Wales. This builds on the local authority KS and QS tables released on 11 December 2012. A list of tables available in this release can be found here (.xls), as well as the table layouts (.xls).
To access these new tables the SASPAC team have prepared and provided an updated version of the application (v9.80), which is available for download. In addition, all the SASPAC System files have been added to our data page and may be downloaded (Please be aware of the file sizes when downloading).
If you have any issues relating to this release or the Census date available please contact the helpdesk.
The first ONS Census newsletter of 2013 was published earlier today. This edition reports on December’s release of the second set of 2011 Census results and incorporates details of the upcoming January/February outputs. Included in this edition is the following:
• Details of data tables to be released on 30 January and 19 February;
• January release of additional Census geography products (boundaries/lookups);
• Bulk data release and distribution of associated supporting information;
• Survey for Local Authorities regarding the benefits gained from Census data;
• ONS Census advisory groups and details of meetings;
• Links to useful census websites
The Quality Assurance Datapack, included in the initial release of 2011 Census data on 16th July 2012, provided overall response rates for local authorities in England & Wales. That data is now supplemented by a more detailed breakdown of response rates by characteristics including age, gender, ethnic group, marital status, country of birth and tenure.
The data can be downloaded, along with methodological papers and a report on response rates, from the ONS website.
SASPAC have made available 2011 Census Output Area and Super Output Area (LSOA/MSOA) digital boundaries in Mapshore (.bdy), MapInfo (.tab) and ESRI (.shp) file formats. Individual Local Authority files have been created from the national (full resolution, extent of the realm) England and Wales file released by ONS. In addition to the boundaries, MapInfo and ESRI file formats include summary Census statistics to allow users to easily map the data.
Digital boundaries are supplied under the Open Government Licence and Ordnance Survey OpenData Licence, appropriate copyright statements must be used when reproducing or using this material – see the ONS website for more details.
Following yesterday’s 2011 Census data release, the SASPAC team have now prepared the software and data for users’ to access. v9.75 of the software is available to download. This release provides access to the 2011 Census datasets released on 11 December 2012, these tables include:
- 35 Key Statistics Census tables (including 2 Welsh only tables)
- 8 Quick Statistics Census tables* (including 2 Welsh only tables)
a full list of tables available in this release can also be found here (.xls). Tables have been published for local authorities and higher geographies in England and Wales. SASPAC System files containing these datasets are also available and downloadable from our 2011 data page.
If you have any issues relating to this release or yesterday’s Census release please contact the helpdesk.