2011 Census Safeguarded flow datasets have begun to be released by ONS and are now available in SASPAC. Currently 15 tables have been published via the UK Data Service, with further tables expected throughout Feb/March. Tables currently available include data on:
- Output Area to Workplace zone flow counts
- MSOA/Intermediate zone worker flows by age, sex and mode of travel
- Output Area to Output Area migrant flow counts
- ward to ward migrants flows by age groups and sex
A list of tables currently published is here (.xls).
Flow datasets are available under three levels of licence: Public, Safeguarded and Secure:
- Public – open and accessible like any other Census data (downloadable in SASPAC from here)
- Safeguarded – available to public sector and academic users to download in a SASPAC format from the UK Data Service – requires users to sign up to additional t&cs.
- Secure – available within the ONS Virtual Microdata Laboratory (VML) to Approved Researchers for specific projects – SASPAC is available in this environment.
Instructions on how to access the SASPAC data via these channels is explained in the attached guidance note (.pdf) along with important information regarding the End User Licence. Importantly, and unlike the majority of Census outputs, this licence has two specific conditions:
- data is licensed on an individual basis (not an organisation), so users are required to ensure only licensed individuals can access the Safeguarded data files.
- Users are also required to suppress any counts lower then 3 or replace 1s or 2s with 0 or 3.
To support access to these datasets we are running a series of training courses specialising in flow data – a programme for the day is here (.pdf) and dates here. Flow data training materials and videos are also available.