A happy year to all our users!
Before Christmas ONS and NRS produced two Census data releases for England & Wales and Scotland respectively. These new tables have now been integrated into SASPAC and are available as a new software update: v9.85. This release includes:
- access to all Key and Quick Statistics tables for Scotland (Release 2c Key stats & Quick stats layouts (pdf))
- access to 59 new Detailed Characteristic tables for England & Wales (Release 3.5 layouts (pdf))
The application has also been enhanced to include a brand new ‘year’ and ‘country’ filter that allows users to restrict their dataset view to just those of interest. The supporting updated System files are also available to download on our E&W and Scotland data pages.
Given the considerable amount of Census data now available, the SASPAC team have produced Excel files that list all the tables currently available by geography for E&W and Scotland. This should help you stay up to date with the wealth of data now at your finger tips!
What data to expect next?
The next data release planned for E&W is on 23 January and will include 59 Local Characteristic tables for Output Areas (Release 4.4), the current tables layouts are available on the ONS website. In Scotland, the next release phase includes detailed cross tabulations and will be published on a ‘topic’ basis; other than ‘early 2014’ it is not currently clear when this data will be available but we expect to hear more later this month.
The latest 2011 Census Detailed and Local Characteristics tables are now available to download from the SASPAC website along with a software update (v9.84).
This update incorporates the 20 Detailed Characteristic and 9 Local Characteristic tables published by ONS on 26/9/13 (Releases 3.4 and 4.3) – including the single year of year by sex table (DC1117EW) mentioned previously on our blog. The updated SASPAC System files are downloadable from our data page and the software updates files/instructions from here.
To help keep users’ up to date with the large number of tables currently available we have also produced a summary of all the tables released by geography here (.xls). Furthermore, table layouts for all the tables so far and those recently published are below:
- Release 3.4 Detailed Characteristic tables layouts/all published DC table layouts to date (.pdf)
- Release 4.3 Local Characteristic tables layouts/all published LC table layouts to date (.pdf)
Other table layouts can be found on our Support page.
SASPAC’s table layouts have been updated to reflect the data published on 30/8/13 as part of Releases 3.3 and 4.2:
- Detailed Characteristic tables layout pdf file
- Local Characteristic tables layout pdf file
- Commissioned tables layout pdf file
There are currently 89 Detailed Characteristic and 34 Local Characteristic tables available for England & Wales. To help users keep up with what tables have been published, we have produced a matrix of all Census tables currently available by geography – this is downloadable from here (.xls).
After lobbying from SASPAC and local authority users, ONS have decided to produce single year of age (SYA) Census data broken down by sex for MSOA and merged ward geographies – currently the data is only available at Local Authority level.
In 2001 this data was provided as Standard Table ST001, however, the equivalent 2011 Census table (DC1104EW) was released on 30/8 but with merged age groupings (“0 to 4”, “5 to 7″…etc). No firm date for this data has been released as yet but it should be before the end of November – we’ll keep users up to date as and when we know more. This should help analysts create all those awkward and unusual age groupings!
Remember: next date for your diary is the 26 September, when we’re expecting to receive Migration (OA level) and Communal Establishment data (Ward/MSOA) for England & Wales.
On 31/7/13 ONS released 21 Local Characteristic tables for Output Areas and higher geographies in E&W. Local Characteristic (LC) tables are detailed cross tabulations available for the smallest geographical area from the Census. This release is the first in a series of monthly LC table publications outlined in the release schedule.
As with previous releases, a SASPAC software update and set of System files (794MB .zip) are available for users to download. Detailed guidance (.pdf) explaining how to update SASPAC are also available. These tables have also been integrated into SASPAC’s master data download page.
Please contact the helpdesk if you have any issues with this update.
The Scottish Census has released more data collected during Scotland’s 2011 Census. The release, 1C (part 1), which can be downloaded here, includes:-
- unrounded estimates of the usually resident population and households of Scotland and each Council and Health Board Area, by single year of age and sex;
- unrounded estimates of the usually resident population of Scotland and each council area on Census day, by whether living in a household or communal establishment.
Plans for the future release of data from the Scottish Census can found here, in summary:
- 15th August 2013- Population and household estimates by Postcodes, Output Areas and Datazones, as well as other geography products (lookup tables and boundary files).
- (from) late September 2013- Key and Quick Statistics and Census Profiles.
- Autumn 2013- Local Characteristics and Local Themes.
- Winter 2013/14- Detailed Characteristics and Themes.
ONS have just announced the Census release schedule for the next six months, more details are on the ONS website but you’ll find a short summary below:
- 31 July 2013- LC on Ethnicity, Identity, Language and Religion for Output Areas in England and Wales.
- 30 August 2013- LC on Health and Unpaid Care for Output Areas in England and Wales. DC for demography and families for MSOAs and wards in England and Wales.
- September 2013- LC on labour market and qualifications. DC for communal establishments for MSOAs and wards in England and Wales.
- November 2013- DC for labour market and qualifications for MSOAs and wards in England and Wales.
- December 2013- LC on housing and demography for Output Areas in England and Wales.
- January 2014- LC on labour market and qualifications for Output Areas in England and Wales.
- February 2014- DC for travel to work and armed forces for MSOAs and wards in England and Wales.
(LC = Local Characteristics, DC = Detailed Characteristics)
We thought it would be helpful to clarify the data we are expecting ONS to publish tomorrow as part of Release 3.2b:
– 2 new Welsh LA level tables: DC1103WA and DC2112WA (Household composition by dependent children and ability to speak Welsh)
– 62 (incs. 8 Welsh) Details Characteristic tables for Census merged wards and MSOAs; these have all been previously released at LA level as part of Release 3.1 and 3.2a
– 4 new regional DC tables and 14 new Commissioned tables relating to migration but for England & Wales only
Table layouts for the new tables can be found here (2MB .xls).
The SASPAC team will process and quality assure these outputs before releasing to our users, along with a small software update, early next week.
The SASPAC team have recently added the following datasets to our website:
- 2011 Census Key/Quick Statistics and Commissioned tables for Clincial Commissioning Groups (CCG) in England. A link to the data download page is here or a direct link to download the Health System files is here (3MB .zip). The CCG geography has been created from a Lower Super Output Areas to CCG lookup available from the ONS Geoportal.
- 2011 Census Commissioned Table CT0050: Method of Travel to Work (alternative) for Output Areas and above (supersedes CT0015 and 45 previously released for ward/LAs) has been added to the Commissioned tables System files. This table is comparable with data from the 2001 Census (UV039), unlike the previously published QS701EW
- 2011 Census Administrative Ward boundary files in Mapshore (BDY),MapInfo (TAB) and ESRI (SHP) formats are now available to download.
Please contact the helpdesk if you have any issues downloading these files.
NRS have announced a change to the timetable for the forthcoming Census outputs, with Release 1C now being split into 2 parts:
- 23 July: population estimates by single year of age and sex for Scotland, Council Areas and Health Boards
- 15 August: population estimates and household estimates by Postcodes, Output Areas and Datazones, along with supporting digital boundaries and lookup tables
and, the first phase of Release 2 (Key and Quick Statistics tables) will be available from late September.
The latest version of the Output Prospectus is available from the NRS website.